Opened in 1846 between Stratford and Canning Town, the line was extended to North Woolwich the following year. Services were extended north to Palace Gates in 1887 although that line (northwards from Seven Sisters) was closed to passengers in 1963.

In 1979 the North Woolwich branch was incorporated into the North London Line, pre-empting the closure of the Broad Street line (Broad Street station had hitherto provided the eastern terminus for the North London Line).

All North London line services were withdrawn from the section south of Stratford in 2006. The DLR extension to Stratford International has taken over the line as far south as Canning Town. The Custom House to North Woolwich section will be used by Crossrail.



(1979 - present)

Although the District Line has had a station here since 1901, a connecting North London Line station was only built in 1979. Two decades later, the Jubilee Line added another set of platforms.

The North London Line platforms will be closed until the DLR takes over this stretch of track. The remaining parts of the station will be unaffected.



Northward view with the Jubilee line on the left.

(photo: 2005)




(photo: 2005)




The eastbound platform. The platforms on this stretch of track are on a north/south axis.

(photo: 2005)




View from the westbound platform of an arriving North Woolwich train on the eastbound platform.

(photo: 2005)




(1st station: 1847 - 1888
2nd station: 1888 - 1995
3rd station: 1995 - present)

This station has been moved three times and rebuilt a remarkable five times.



The site of the second station. The platforms originally were on the outside of the tracks but an island platform was built during reconstruction of the station in 1979.

The first station was situated slightly to the south, between this area and the current (third) station location. Rebuilding of the area for the arrival of the Jubilee line left no tangible remains of either of the first two stations.

(photo: 2006)



The new station (not new anymore as it has been rebuilt to DLR standards)

(photo: 2006)




(photo: 2006 )




The westbound platform looking east. The Jubilee line platforms are to the right and above them the first set of DLR platforms.

(photo: 2006)





(photo: 2006)





Eastbound platform.

(photo: 2006)



Reference: London Railways by Edwin Course. B T Batsford Ltd, London, 1962.



North Woolwich Line: Tidal Basin - Custom House